Nielsen//NetRatings reported that some 13 million Mother’s Day shoppers used comparison shopping search engines and directories, bringing their traffic by 8% over the previous week.
According to the report released on May 7, 2004, “Traffic to AOL Shopping from home surged 91 percent to 1.4 million unique visitors, as compared to 718,000 unique visitors during the week ending April 25 (see Table 1). Froogle jumped 80 percent in traffic to 613,000 unique visitors, from 340,000 visitors during the previous week. MSN Shopping drew 901,000 visitors, increasing 35 percent.”
Further the report interprets this data as a proof that comparison shopping sites and comparison search technology has become a standard tool for finding the right price for products sold online.
Fastest Growing Shopping Directories and Guides, Week Ending May 2, 2004 (U.S., Home):
- AOL Shopping 1,374,000 unique visitors 91% growth over the previous week
- Froogle 613,000 unique visitors 80% growth over the previous week
- MSN Shopping 901,000 unique visitors 35% growth over the previous week
- MySimon 311,000 unique visitors 14% growth over the previous week
- Quixtar 285,000 unique visitors 8% growth over the previous week